School networks and electrical equipment damage

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 08:39:52 EDT 2013

More data:

In general, we have placed the UPS for the phone line protection directly
between the biccs block (or phone company termination point) and the first
jack on the line, which is usually the split jack for voice/dsl. From the
split jack, the DSL line goes into a second  UPS which powers the DSL modem
and the first AP.

Certainly the UPS should be grounded. However, to be trite, I have seen
cases in the wild where power is being saved, and sometimes the UPS is
turned off, and/or unplugged. So, it might be important to evaluate whether
the surge suppression still works when the UPS are unplugged from mains,
and/or if they have fried first.  Also, we have found that the surge
suppression has a fixed number of faults before it is no longer effective.
 seems to depend on the make/model/quality and the alignment of the
planets.  In the case of the APC RS 1500 series, a stress test showed that
spiking  to just double voltage, which did not fry the UPS machine, there
was no protection left after 5 such jolts.  Therefore, it is also important
to monitor the UPS  logs regularly to see what is going on.

As of yet and as far as I know, <knocking on head>  we have never been hit
by lightning,but we have lost UPS do to surging, usually on unplanned power
outages.  Again, so far, we have never lost an AP or a modem.

Last night I ran 100 speedtest.net scripts 50 with the phone line plugged
into the UPS and alternated every-other with 50 not plugged in, on a 5Mb
synchronous DSL.  There was no significant difference, and in fact the
average score was a teeny tiny tad higher on the protected tests, for all
of Ping, Download, and Upload.

So, as usual, your mileage may vary, but this has been our experience.

Cheers,
KG

PS: in raw cost, a good UPS is more expensive to replace than an AP or
switch.  However, you don't lose your configuration, and sometimes it takes
days to get a DSL modem replaced from the telco.  Sometimes it makes sense
to put the more expensive UPS in the way of even cheap infrastructure.