School networks and electrical equipment damage

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Jun 7 00:44:25 EDT 2013

I considered sources such as James' theory, as well as someone
connecting one of the ethernet cables to line voltage, and neither
accounted for the level of damage you described.

But I can't agree more with James' point about building from the ground
up.   The first thing we used to wire up in a computer room was the
frame grounds --- with modern SOHO gear that all comes through
the grounded power plug.   But it has to be plugged in to be grounded
(i.e. protected).

Coincidentally, today I checked out the earth ground in the new hardware office
and wired up the workbench grounding in OLPC Boston's new digs in Davis Sq.

wad