Clock-12.5 startup timing on XO-1

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sat Jul 6 13:02:20 EDT 2013

Hi,

I ran Clock-12.5 on 11.3.1, 12.1.0 and 13.2.0 build 11, all on the
same XO-1, to see if we have any difference in startup time. This is a
GTK2 activity.

Launching 10 times from hot caches and averaging, my measurements are:

11.3.1: 12.52 seconds
12.1.0: 11.53 seconds
13.2.0: 11.74 seconds

So, we may have had a slight performance increase introduced in
12.1.0. For the comparison between 13.2.0 and 12.1.0, the numbers
suggest a tiny slowdown, but actually launch time commonly varies by
+/- 0.5 seconds, so I don't see this as significant.

I can't reproduce the interesting difference in X cpu usage % that I
noted in the other thread. That was probably also an insignificant
normal variance.

So, we don't seem to have any regressions in GTK2 activity startup
time in recent years. However, the results on all builds are pretty
bad, it would be nice if we could figure out why a fairly simple
activity takes so much time to launch.

Daniel