XO-1(.75)

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Thu Jul 4 23:11:52 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 07:16:11PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> > I did another comparison, between  13.2.0 os11 and os883 (sugar 0.94)
> > You can see the results here:
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=
> > 0As_jQJX0Me6XdDI2clFpX1FFRHhKMHVFZGkyakdST2c&usp=sharing
>
> Good data, thanks.
>
> > Metodology:
> >
> > * Changed SUGAR_LOGGER_DEVEL
> > * The activities were started from the listview, then are new instances
> > * The start up time is the time reported by sugar in the log.
>
> A few questions to help with interpreting this data:
>
> - was this on an XO-1 or XO-1.5?  I ask because it would help with
>   comparing against other models.
>
> - what memory size?  I ask because if memory is scarce, startup time
>   will be increased.

This was with a XO-1 C2 with 256 MB (SN SHC84203538)
Is the only XO-1 I have.

> - did you start these activities twice and measure the second startup
>   in order to exclude caching effects, or did you only measure the
>   first startup?

Only run one time every activity

> - was the system rebooted between each test, or were caches already
>   populated?

Didn't rebooted after every activity.

> > The column start  up difference, if negative, the time was improved.
> > I added a column to show what activities were ported from Gtk2 to Gtk3.
> > In the case of Read activity, the mechanism is confused, because the old
> > activity
> > opened the ObjectChooser in a new instance.
> > I don't know what happen with Scratch.
> >
> > Some activities had a lot of changes, but other like Distance or Implode
> not,
> > and looks like the change to Gtk3 add a penalty.
>
> However there was also a change to kernel and Fedora version.

Yes. And changes in libraries, then is difficult point to any particular
place.

About how the time is measured, I am using the time printed by
jarabe/model/shell.py line 566

The shell monitors the window opened event, and have some logic
to detect if is the splash screen or the main window activity.
I think is similar to what Hal is proposing.

Gonzalo