XO-1(.75)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 4 20:55:59 EDT 2013

On Thu, Jul 04, 2013 at 07:16:11PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> I did another comparison, between  13.2.0 os11 and os883 (sugar 0.94)
> You can see the results here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=
> 0As_jQJX0Me6XdDI2clFpX1FFRHhKMHVFZGkyakdST2c&usp=sharing

Good data, thanks.

> Metodology:
>
> * Changed SUGAR_LOGGER_DEVEL
> * The activities were started from the listview, then are new instances
> * The start up time is the time reported by sugar in the log.

A few questions to help with interpreting this data:

- was this on an XO-1 or XO-1.5?  I ask because it would help with
  comparing against other models.

- what memory size?  I ask because if memory is scarce, startup time
  will be increased.

- if it is an XO-1.5, what microSD device?  I ask because the access
  time and transfer rate of the card can have a dramatic effect on I/O
  bound startups,

- did you start these activities twice and measure the second startup
  in order to exclude caching effects, or did you only measure the
  first startup?

- was the system rebooted between each test, or were caches already
  populated?

- if it is an XO-1.5, does the "test /switches" heat spreader test
  pass?  I ask because if it fails, the CPU may slow momentarily
  during an activity startup, causing a non-linearity in the test
  results; longer startups become longer.

> The column start  up difference, if negative, the time was improved.
> I added a column to show what activities were ported from Gtk2 to Gtk3.
> In the case of Read activity, the mechanism is confused, because the old
> activity
> opened the ObjectChooser in a new instance.
> I don't know what happen with Scratch.
>
> Some activities had a lot of changes, but other like Distance or Implode not,
> and looks like the change to Gtk3 add a penalty.

However there was also a change to kernel and Fedora version.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/