Cameras not working on XO-1s

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:50:03 EST 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM, John Watlington <wad at laptop.org> wrote:
> > in 2010 (IIRC) to fix this, and there is a simple preventative measure
> to prevent it from happening
> > on older machines (adding two pieces of cellulose tape to the right
> place on the motherboard.)
> > Details and the fix are at http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10148
>
> That trac entry has the details of the fix, which involves changing
> the main frame of the unit, but Christoph needs the preventative
> workaround, which I don't think is described there.
>
> The workaround is to put 0.5mm cellulose tape to act as spacer so that
> the camera cable does not get folded so harshly. My rule of thumb is
> as follows: when you look at the mainframe on the side where the
> motherboard goes, you see an circular extrusion right on the other
> side of the speaker would go.
>
> Place the spacer in the middle of that circle. Does not need to be
> large in terms of surface.
>
> Put the motherboard + camera assy into place -- when you are in that
> process, observe where the camera cable meets the mainframe and check
> visually that the spacer is low enough that it will not "pinch" the
> cable.
>
> hth,

Hey Martin,

thanks a lot for these instructions. Based on Plan Ceibal's error
description I had extrapolated a similar approach and so it's good to hear
that I wasn't totally off.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that we simply won't have time to go through the
18 or so XO-1s which currently don't exhibit the problem during tomorrow's
session. I will however pass along your instructions to some of the local
tech-wizards and maybe they can do the workaround at some point in the near
future.

Thanks again,
Christoph

--