latest HaitiOS-0.6 very close

George Hunt georgejhunt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 13:01:35 EST 2013

On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Adam Holt <holt at unleashkids.org> wrote:

> Updates on my 4 suggestions from midnight 10hrs ago--forgive me for
> capitalizing names, so we can all focus on getting the very best OS into
> Sora's hands for Haiti during this home stretch Before Midnight EST Tonight:
>
> 1) SOLVED: GEORGE, please add WikipediaFR 36 which works great, just
> tested it this morning by launching it from the Journal view of an inserted
> USB stick!  http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4540

Tim said in a previous email that he had done this. I verified. Will wait
to generate tar.gz until other issues are resolved.

> 2a) GEORGE, In response to Tim's earlier mail, I myself don't yet see
> Same-Named http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/q2f19/bootfw.zip within
> http://xsce.activitycentral.com/downloads/HaitiOS-0.6/boot/ .  It's vital
> that it be Same-Named (no 0,1,2 or 4 suffx) in the USB stick /boot to allow
> manual upgrade of firmware, no matter what legacy firmware exists on each
> random XO-1, as described here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_firmware#Recipe

given the potential for error, I re-downloaded the q2f199, and without
changing name, copied it up to our boot directory.

Then when I tar-ed it all up, downloaded, the tar, expanded, I discovered
that the presence of the bootfw.zip in the boot directory prevented the
4button load (finding the signed OS img using fs.zip or fs0.zip) from
working.

The observation was that It didn't find the image after 4 button startup.
Then moved /boot/bootfw.zip to /boot/bootfw.zip.gh, and the img was loaded.

> 2b) GEORGE/TIM. Additionally, forced upgrade to
> http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/q2f19/bootfw.zip would be truly lovely
> if we can force the copy of this file to the XO-1's
> /versions/boot/current/boot/ by hook or by crook during the 1st/2nd bootup
> after reflashing, if for whatever reason Jerry's TC tricks do not permit
> this as he'd hoped.
>
> 3) GEORGE/*SORA* should tell us which Activities to relegate to List View
> in addition to Portfolio, Log, Terminal.  By default let's have all
> Activities on the ring/spiral available for exploration, even if the ~50
> activities gets a bit crowded, let's give it a shot.  Thanks Sora for
> manually Starring most all activities on your XO-1 business hours today
> (during your Dulles-MIA flight?) so George has marching orders by
> Dinnertime Latest Please.

I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that my first attempt to star all the
activities using the /usr/share/sugar/data/activities.default apparently
did not work.  I'll check it out later today.

> 4) TIM/GEORGE. Artistic kids adore TuxPaint we need, as soon as we find a
> working rpm better than
> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=tuxpaint and then
> layer on http://people.sugarlabs.org/walter/TuxPaint-6.2.xo or perhaps
> more likely http://dev.laptop.org/~dsd/activities/TuxPaint-6.2.xo ?  If
> George/Tim/Curt can any traction at all from Jerry's suggestions here (I
> have not!) it'd be beautiful:
> http://mock.laptop.org/cgit/koji.dist-f17-i686/tree/RPMS/t
>
> http://mock.laptop.org/cgit/koji.dist-f17-i686/tree/RPMS/t/tuxpaint-0.9.21-8.fc17.i686.rpm
>
> http://mock.laptop.org/cgit/koji.dist-f17-i686/commit/RPMS/t/tuxpaint-0.9.21-8.fc17.i686.rpm

Also will play with this later today. I'm going to do a 2 hour bike ride
during the warmth of the day.