gst-vmeta testing

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 27 17:30:25 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Carlos Rafael Giani
<dv at pseudoterminal.org> wrote:
>> Now for human observation: there is no flicker problem.
>
> Interesting. Try again with this video please:
> http://download.openbricks.org/sample/H264/SampleClip.m4v
> With this one, I could definitely see flickering in past tests.

No flickering with that video.

>> However, the
>> video is noticably choppier when played back in the gstreamer-1.0
>> environment. For example, look at the smoothness of the front door
>> opening in that video.

> This looks like an issue with the parser. I am not sure what to make of it.
> I find it rather unlikely that this is caused by the decoder. I see warnings
> like these often with somewhat broken videos. Marvell's decoder does the
> parsing on its own, while mine doesn't ; instead, it leaves the parsing up
> to the existing GStreamer MPEG parsers. It is possible then that the custom
> Marvell parser code simply swallows broken timestamps etc. without saying
> anything.
> I wasn't able to try the video myself, since I have been very busy the last
> few days with something else. I will get to try it out tomorrow hopefully.

SampleClip.m4v plays back really smoothly with none of the frame drop
errors. And I just checked another sample,
http://techslides.com/demos/sample-videos/small.mp4 and that works
too.

So it does seem like you are right in suspecting something else at
play with the hellmans_mayonnaise_commercial.mpeg file.

Either way it would be nice if you could confirm/deny the findings
there, next time you have your device booted.

Thanks
Daniel