XO-tablet development?

Andrew McMillan andrew at morphoss.com
Tue Aug 13 23:02:54 EDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-08-12 at 15:35 +0200, Frantisek Dufka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> sorry if this was already discussed but where development discussion
> about new XO-tablet is taking place? Where is the documentation/wiki?
>
> I understand it is android based (i.e. very different from xo laptops)
> but I am still missing discussion about the hardware itself and also the
> software (android UI modification, preloaded applications).

Hi,

I'm not sure what there is to discuss regarding the hardware, except
that it is intended that the tablet UI will be able to run on hardware
other than the currently available tablet.  At present it runs more or
less fine across a variety of Android tablets from 7" @800x480 through
to 8.9" @1920x1080 (i.e. anything we can lay our hands on :-)

> Is some XO laptop software shared between laptop and tablet (sugar,
> activities,...)?

Not at present, but it is planned that Sugar Web activities will be able
to operate both within Sugar-GTK and within Android.  I have been
meeting with Manuel QuiƱones over the last few days to try to better
understand this work and how OLPC can best support it going forward.

> Is the UI and preloaded apps on the tablet open sourced?

Some of the preloaded apps are free software, but most are not.  Some
elements of the UI source code are based on free software, including
changes which have been contributed upstream where relevant, but the
core launcher / lock screen code is not currently public and no decision
has yet been made regarding releasing that source code.  It is my hope
and expectation that we will be able to release source code for some or
all of this work in due course, but I can provide no timeframe for that.

The work on Sugar Web will naturally be within the context of the
existing free software community.

> Is this developed by olpc people or outsourced to completely different
> people/company?

The development work was done primarily at Morphoss under the direction
of OLPC.

Regards,
					Andrew McMillan.

--