XO-tablet development?

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Aug 12 10:25:53 EDT 2013

frantisek wrote:
 > Hello,
 >
 > sorry if this was already discussed but where development discussion
 > about new XO-tablet is taking place? Where is the documentation/wiki?

there are not yet any public development or documentation channels,
that i know of.

 > I understand it is android based (i.e. very different from xo laptops)
 > but I am still missing discussion about the hardware itself and also the
 > software (android UI modification, preloaded applications).

OLPC was not involved in the development of the tablet hardware.

 > Is some XO laptop software shared between laptop and tablet (sugar,
 > activities,...)?

i don't believe so, currently.  that could change.

 > Is the UI and preloaded apps on the tablet open sourced?

no, not generally.  parts of android are open source, of course, and
some of the included apps may also be.  but much is closed source,
including, i believe, the UI.

 > Is this developed by olpc people or outsourced to completely different
 > people/company?

hardware was done by an external vendor.  UI software and integration
was by an OLPC-funded team, which until recently was completely
separate from the laptop development team.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org