Sugar in a chroot?

Andrew McMillan andrew at laptop.org
Tue Aug 6 21:45:16 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 17:58 -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> I've been looking closely at Ubuntu on Android (different from the
> Ubuntu Touch) and other projects that run Linux in a chroot on
> Android. http://linuxonandroid.org/
>
> 1) Given that the XO-4 is a dual core ARM, how hard would it be to run
> Android on it? (I sincerely apologize for the cruel Apr 1 joke earlier
> this year https://bhagmalpur.wordpress.com/2013/04/01/android-on-the-olpc-xo-4-touch/)
>
> 2) If we can run Android on the XO-4, then Fedora/Sugar can run in a
> chroot. That gives us Sugar and Android on the XO-4.

I guess that running *that* in a chroot on a standard XO-4 can be next
years April 1st joke :-)

> I'm fairly certain others have thought of this, but I'd like to know
> how far we've gotten down this path, if at all.

There are definitely investigations going on with regard to running
Android on the XO-4.  Consequential questions are things like:

* Which version of Android?
* Which Linux kernel version?

Marvell have done some work to support Android 4.0 (ICS) on the MMP3
chip used in the XO-4 using the 3.0 Linux kernel (standard for ICS) but
I would rather see a more recent version.

Most of the Android customisations to the Linux kernel got merged back
in across the 3.3 through 3.8 series', and with 3.10 being declared the
new LTS version I would not be surprised to see that used for Key Lime
Pie.  One big sucky problem is that the multi-core support from Marvell
is *only* present in that one 3.0 tree, and it hasn't made it upstream.

So yeah: investigation continues...

Cheers,
					Andrew.

--