Filesystem sizes on XO-1.5 with 12.1.0

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Wed Sep 5 19:16:46 EDT 2012

DISCLAIMER:  I am not asking for help -- I'm sharing ny experiences

I often perform 'yum upgrade' - just to pick up the latest fixes from
Fedora.  But with 12.1.0 on an XO-1.5, I am encountering 'cpio' errors
when the upgrade tries to unpack certain packages (e.g.,
gnome-keyring-3.4.1-3).  Since there is no sign of their owners rushing
to "fix" such packages, I figure the problem lies at my end.

One thing I have noticed with recent (on my XO-1.5) 12.1.0 builds is
that filesystems /tmp and /var/tmp are absurdly small.  I don't know if
this is due to some customization I have applied, or if they come that
way with 12.1.0.  Anyway, I wonder if "running out of temporary space"
might explain the 'cpio' failures (inside 'rpm') I'm seeing.

mikus