XO-1.5's sudden death - oven resurrected!

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 02:34:18 EDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:25 AM, Yioryos Asprobounitis
<mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sure!
> If you have no intention to provide the *names* of the "chemicals involved"...

No nutritional labelling requirements for electronic devices, however
as described in the EPEAT certification, every plastic part is
labelled with respect to recycling classification.

http://wiki.laptop.org/images/c/cf/Epeat.ps

Furthermore, I would imagine that the XO is still the only laptop to
obtain EPEAT Gold certification.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20071022005302/en/Laptop-Child-Creates-Worlds-Greenest-Laptop-Computer

> Seriously though, looking at the RoHS it would appear the known toxic chemicals are bellow 0.1% (1000ppm) on the original material. Considering volatility and standards, I would say pretty safe!
> Standard floor dast wipes in a city home or outdoors soil for example, give ~200ppm for lead, and in the wilderness soil lead is still 50ppm.
> Cadmium is also pretty safe given that its limit in *food colors* is 15ppm.
> This would be true for the rest of the chemicals in the list. But I'm interested on what is not in the list (Not its level necessarily).
>
> Disclosure: I'm a chemist by training :-)

Well, in that case, by all means feel free to put you XO into your
spare kitchen blender and solvent extract the scrap to run it through
a mass spectrometer.  Just don't try to boot the gooey mess left
behind. :-)

cjl