3G USB Dongle usage

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Oct 9 18:16:27 EDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 03:33:46AM +0530, RJV wrote:
> There is only a Remove option in the menu.

This means the 3G USB wireless modem has not been switched out of USB
storage mode into modem mode.

The design process works like this;

- manufacturers invent new devices with new USB product and vendor
  identifiers, these can be shown in the /var/log/messages that Jerry
  has asked for,

- kernel maintainers add these product and vendor identifiers to the
  kernel driver for the USB device,

- a new kernel is released and installed, _or_ the user may be able to
  add the product and vendor identifiers to the new_id sysfs file for
  the device driver, _or_ the USB mode switch utility might be used
  (depending on the age of the kernel),

- the icon changes shape, and has a Connect option instead of Remove.

For example, on a laptop here, my notes show I once had to do this:

echo '0x16d8 0x6280' > /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/option1/new_id

and then plug in the modem again.

So find the USB product and vendor identifiers, try using them, and
consider a kernel upgrade.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/