[Techteam] 13.1.0 devel build 5 released, for the XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:30:27 EDT 2012

Hi Peter,

On 8 Oct 2012, at 15:09, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes the language layouts are a distinct set of XML files in one directory. They can be edited live on running system, so it's not like they really need to be part of maliit-plugins build compilation.
>>
>> If the OLPC OS build creators (e.g. dsd) do not plan to include all of
>> these files in "stock" releases, then we should definitely look at
>> incorporating them into language packs installs.
>
> At the moment all layouts are packaged as part of the maliit-plugins package
>
>> Just like with L10n MO files there may be good reasons (mostly size in
>> image) not to include them all, but in a such a case  we definitely
>> want to make them easy to find and easy to install, without much
>> technical knowledge, or even knowledge that they even exist.
>
> The layouts are xml files and hence very small is size so the easiest
> way to install them would be to have them there by default.
>
> My question to Gary about the layouts was more about how hard it would
> be to package them up separately so it's easy to add new layouts post
> release of a release. It's quicker to add a single package with a
> single layout than having to QA an entire release again.

How would you like them? I could just send you a zip of the files, though I guess you're after something a little more bundled, let me know ;) So this certainly seems a good way to go, though note I'm probably going to need at least one more pass at the style changes for this cycle (unfortunately key sizes are hardcoded in the style and I need to tweak there every now and againg to get a layout to work), which is a different set of files in maliit-plugins. These styles can also safely make their way up stream to Michael, leaving us just with our new language layouts to apply to builds.

Regards,
--Gary