[Techteam] 13.1.0 devel build 5 released, for the XO-1, XO-1.5, XO-1.75 and XO-4

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sun Oct 7 20:13:16 EDT 2012

martin wrote:
 > On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > Not yet, all the layouts are in and gtk2 works now
 > Installed, quick test. You're right, the ebook trigger isn't
 > happening. And I cannot type with it -- Write won't show input from
 > the OSK, home view search box won't show input from OSK.
 > The touchscreen scale_{x,y} defaults are killing me. They make the UI
 > _very_ awkward to use -- I average 2.5 touches before I can hit a
 > moderately large button ("next", or the "stop" icon). This is because
 > the offset the driver applies shifts in every spot of the screen, it's
 > a devilish thing.
 > Paul, can we crank those defaults way down? Or add a dampening / ramp
 > up effect to the offset that is flat in most of the screen, but
 > quickly ramps up near edges? (If you don't believe me, install OS5 and
 > use Sugar with the touchscreen for a while).

as i said the other day, the kernel driver should either do no scaling
by default, or it should make every pixel on the screen touchable with
a "standard" pointing instrument (i.e., a stylus).  the latter is what
it does now -- perhaps exaggerated.  but any other midway decision
between those extremes (which i agree is probably the right thing)
constitutes policy, and therefore belongs at user level.

which is to say, i think the correct defaults belong in olpc-utils,
along with the countless other XO useablility tweaks that are already

(once that change is firmly in place, i'll probably revert the driver to
default to no scaling at all.)

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org