Announcing Q2F14 for XO-1

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 25 15:59:36 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 08:54:57AM -0600, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Hi James
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > This release synchronises XO-1 firmware with the code base used
> > for XO-4 firmware.
> >
> > Test reports are encouraged.
>
> Thanks for these releases.
>
> Are these proposed for 13.1.0? I thought we had previously agreed
> (in #12077) that we wouldn't be "opportunistically" upgrading the
> firmware this time around. And it does seem a bit late to be doing
> this now.

I'm not in a position to propose or suggest avoidance for 13.1.0.  All
I can say is that they work for me, but I have not covered all the
functions in my tests.

Yes, it is a change of tack.  The comment in #12077 was four weeks
ago, and an opportunity arose to do some sustaining engineering, in
particular our source tree stabilisation work, mostly as a result of
the success of the XO-4 C1 build, and the silence of this last
weekend.  It was not predictable.

I agree it is late in your 13.1.0 phase, so I'm fine with you omitting
the builds if you feel the risk is too high.  On the other hand, if it
works now, it is one less risk to take with 13.2.0, and there are some
fixes.

> If these RPMs are in the f18-* dropboxes, which they seem to be,
> they will automatically be pulled into the next build (packages
> aren't separated/frozen until December 3rd).

Generating RPMs is a default part of the Open Firmware release
process, in olpc-firmware.git:releaseme .

These RPMs are in the split version format, olpc-firmware-q2-f14, and
as far as I can see in git, your modules/xo1/kspkglist.50.xo1.inc is
specifying olpc-firmware only, and not olpc-firmware-q2, but I'm not
sure what the result will be.  I suspect olpc-firmware-q2-f14 won't
be picked up.  Do you agree?

If it is picked up but you don't want it to be ... you could either
not pull them, or I could hide them, which would you rather?  If I
hide them, there's a risk of neglecting to restore them for
13.2.0.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/