gathering use cases

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Thu Nov 8 18:19:10 EST 2012

Hi, Sridhar

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was mislead by statements such as:

The platform for the One Network server is an ARMv7-based XO, running
the One Education OS (based on OLPC OS). This makes development, and
deployment and support far simpler than a standalone distribution. The
OS can be extended with server capabilities using a bootable USB
Customisation Stick (offline) or yum.

Please accept my apology if any statement I have made seemed uncivil,
that was certainly not my intention. Communicating by email in certainly
much more hazardous in this regard than face-to-face.

Just as the deployments you are supporting have specific and urgent
needs, so do the ones I am working with. I don't believe either of us is
pursuing personal desires. We certainly can easily differ on which is
the appropriate technical approach to solving the problems of a deployment.

I really appreciate this specification:

   * this is a flexible design, built on Fedora
   * it will run anywhere where x86 or ARM Fedora will work
   * it can be installed on top of an existing Fedora installation
using 'yum groupinstall xsce'
   * being designed in this way provides extreme flexibility for deployments
   * all current features of the XS (Moodle, etc.) will be ported, but
will be optional
   * installation and configuration will be easy, but sysadmins will be
able to treat it like any Fedora installation

There is clearly a great deal to be gained by a community taking responsibility for the ongoing development and maintenance of the school server as neither Daniel Drake nor Martin Langhoff are likely to have adequate time for this in the foreseeable future.

Tony

Tony