gathering use cases

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Thu Nov 8 17:25:45 EST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 17:10 -0500, Tony Anderson wrote:
> On 11/08/2012 05:01 PM, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> > Hi Tony and all,
> >
> > On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 13:32 -0500, Tony Anderson wrote:
> >> Hi, Sridhar
> >>
> >> One of the important potential benefits from gathering use cases is to
> >> clarify the roles of the Community XS project and XS-0.7.
> >>
> > Why is that an issue at at all? The "Community XS" (think XS-0.8 here)
> > is going to address the current shortcomings of XS-0.7.
>
> This is my greatest concern. The ability of a server to deliver content
> is central. It is my understanding that your Community XS does not
> support a LAMP stack or Moodle. Please do not refer to the Community XS
> as XO-0.8 until there is a chance that it can deliver the essential
> capabilities of XS-0.7. My other concern is that a lot of very talented
> people are spending a lot of time solving a non-problem.

That's very interesting LAMP is installed and George tells me Moodle is
now working. We just didn't quite have the time prior to SF to debug the
issue and I confident that the work done will become 0.8.

> Naturally, the network problem you mention is solved by connecting the
> XS-0.7 to that network as the WAN.

How do you deal with the name resolution of 'schoolserver' without
having the ability to alter the network dns server's entries or have the
server called something other than 'schoolserver' to avoid a clash with
an pre-existing server on the target network?

Jerry