gathering use cases

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Wed Nov 7 21:57:12 EST 2012

On 3 November 2012 07:46, Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
> Thanks much Sameer.  Am including support-gang at laptop.org to make sure we
> gather microdeployment and support volunteer feedback too.
>
> While our XS Community Edition experiment ain't quite ready for
> showtime/download yet, its white paper & code repository are here:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Holt/XS_Community_Edition

The white paper that Adam is referring to can be found at
https://docs.google.com/a/dhanapalan.com/document/pub?id=1dnhU2F6EntepVXTgN8QpkME8fZVUuPjcCoMUfAVKbcc

I am the primary author, but it was written by canvassing feedback and
opinions from schools and XS community members (including Jerry Vonau,
George Hunt, Adam Holt and many others). The paper discusses several
use cases and design goals, and outlines the underlying principles
behind how we do things in OLPC Australia.

There is some miscommunication being spread around that I'd like to
clear up. Firstly, this is not a 'secret' project. The white paper
explains our mission, and the code repo and issues trackers are open.
Secondly, the intent is to create a flexible framework that can be
adapted to suit local needs. This is *not*, as some keep asserting, a
project to have the XS work only on the XO. The community XS will work
on any x86 or ARM based hardware that works with Fedora. The white
paper explains this in depth.

Sridhar