pointer (touchpad) aceleration and threshold too low in 11.3.* builds

Eduardo H. Silva hoboprimate at gmail.com
Tue May 22 13:33:50 EDT 2012

2012/5/18 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
>> xset q tells that in 11.3.1, the pointer is configured with the values:
>>
>> acceleration 7/4 threshold: 1
>>
>> This takes 2, 3 and sometimes 4 swipes to move across the screen.
>
> Strange! That's one of our explicit tests -- we test that a quick
> diagonal swipe can get you across the screen from one corner to
> another. Falling a tad short may be acceptable, this has to be
> balanced with aiming for small UI elements in eToys, for example.

Perhaps I over-exagerated. But still takes 2 (and a bit) quick swipes
to go from corner to corner.

> Of course, with slow swipes, it can take many tries to move across the
> screen :-)
> I am sure that if this was widely broken we'd have been up in arms
> about it way earlier. I'm interested to know about your XO -- model
> and TP model, perhaps in some cases our touchpad settings are bad.

Ok, perhaps this is the problem. I actually have a B4, sorry for
calling it XO-1 (I as I have refered to it forever)... Am I the only
one getting this experience then?

> See the wikipage at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad/Testing -- it
> also has additional diagnostic tests that can shed light on the topic.

Some of the times after doing the "rolling finger" test the cursor
became wonky and then fixed itself after a few seconds. And the
"corner to corner sweep" fails as well of course.

Eduardo