pointer (touchpad) aceleration and threshold too low in 11.3.* builds

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:38:15 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Eduardo H. Silva <hoboprimate at gmail.com> wrote:
> xset q tells that in 11.3.1, the pointer is configured with the values:
>
> acceleration 7/4 threshold: 1
>
> This takes 2, 3 and sometimes 4 swipes to move across the screen.

Strange! That's one of our explicit tests -- we test that a quick
diagonal swipe can get you across the screen from one corner to
another. Falling a tad short may be acceptable, this has to be
balanced with aiming for small UI elements in eToys, for example.

Of course, with slow swipes, it can take many tries to move across the
screen :-)

I am sure that if this was widely broken we'd have been up in arms
about it way earlier. I'm interested to know about your XO -- model
and TP model, perhaps in some cases our touchpad settings are bad.

See the wikipage at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Touchpad/Testing -- it
also has additional diagnostic tests that can shed light on the topic.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions