NOW: OLPC Contributors Program Mtg (on #olpc-meeting, 4PM EDT, Mch 18)

Holt holt at laptop.org
Fri May 18 14:57:29 EDT 2012

Please all join us now, voting for the latest OLPC/Sugar community
projects over IRC Live Chat, to make the best project allocations &
mentoring relationships--starting right here:

http://forum.laptop.org/chat

AGENDA:

* Fast Review of the 11 latest (greatest!) HW/Project Proposals.
   Plz join us advocating for & reviewing shortcomings of these proposals:

   1. Testing & Translation by Founder of Hanthana Linux - Sri Lanka
   2. Helping children learn the serbian cyrillic alphabet - Munich, Germany
   3. "100 Monkeys vs. 1 Engineer" - Toronto, Canada
   4. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
   5. Case Study Scratch Kids Programming - Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona
   6. XO Educational Software Project (XO/ESP) - Haiti & Mansfield, Ohio
   7. Math & Science Activities - Florence, Mississippi
   8. BioDiv-Activity - Tirschenreuth, Germany
   9. St Andre's school - Hinche, Haiti & Carmel, California
   10. Pronunciation Evaluation Game for Reading - US, India, Singapore
   11. Green Roots Festival 2012 - Boston, Massachusetts

* Which projects might you enjoy Mentoring below?!
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects
http://rt.laptop.org/Search/Results.html?Query=Queue=%27contributors%27

* New projects & libraries -- teaching them Community Outreach:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Laptop_Lending_Libraries

1. Testing & Translation by Founder of Hanthana Linux - Sri Lanka
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=103930
    http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
    http://school.hanthana.org/2012/03/12/it-has-begun/
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over undetermined months

    Project Objectives:
    Hardware testing
    Testing on going l10n

2. Helping children learn the serbian cyrillic alphabet - Munich,
Germany; Kosovo
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=105576
    http://lln.sourceforge.net
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over 18-24 months

    Project Objectives:
    This project will be a attempt to write a program for XO in order to
    help serbian children in northern part of Kosovo to learn and preserve
    serbian cyrillic alphabet.It should be a part of my future project for
    donate XO-1 to various schools in northern Kosovo. A whole project
should
    be a non-profit in collaboration with Serbian Orthodox Church in Munich
    and Serbian Othodox Church in Kosovo.

3. "100 Monkeys vs. 1 Engineer" - Toronto, Canada
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106020
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    While I appreciate that highly defined, measurable outcomes are most
    desirable, I am seeking an XO laptop to put into the hands of my
    first-year engineering student son who is about to embark on a four
    month environmental intern position with an international development
    agency in Saskatchewan. He has been previously involved in an
    engineering project at university designing low-tech solutions for
    wastewater in slums in Africa and designing a geo-thermal robot computer
    program for ground scanning for minerals. His summer internship will
    expose him to the design and deployment of urban projects including;
    effluent irrigated woodlots, decommissioned landfill forest caps and
    active forest filters, salinity control forestation around municipal
    lagoons, and farm projects including; stream margin protection,
    shelterbelts and salinity control.

    We intend to explore the potential to communicate distributed learning
    about the low-tech technology for community solutions for adults to
    improve the front-line communities where children with the XO laptops
    reside.

4. Project Rwanda - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106786

    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over 2 months

    Project Objectives:
    As a group, we would be using the laptops as a means to get children
    excited about education. The specific "activities" on the XO laptop
would
    be the focus of our class. Our goals are to promote creativity,
    collaboration and sustainability. Our choice of programs, such as
the Tam
    Tam Jam, Record, Scratch and eToys, will be the focus for creativity
and we
    will be teaching the children how create music, programs, website,
design
    etc. While creating we also want to highlight the tools that will
help the
    children collaborate, the focus of our end presentation will be
    collaborative through group presentations. Lastly we wish to use the
    laptops and to set up Pen-pals so that once we leave Rwanda we can still
    mentor the children as a means of documentation of how the children have
    taken what we have taught them as well as sustaining a deep relationship
    with the children.

5. Case Study Scratch Kids Programming - Mesa/Phoenix, Arizona
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=106970
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 25 XOs over 7 months

    Project Objectives:
    I am conducting a research to study the effects of computer programming
    in the classrooms. The IRB is now approved through ASU. The objective is
    to actively engage learners to construct their own ideas. The method is
    for teachers to use Scratch, PicoCricket and WeDo Lego Educational
    Technology in the curriculum as a teaching tool.

6. XO Educational Software Project (XO/ESP) - Haiti & Mansfield, Ohio
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107089
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5 XOs over 24 months

    Project Objectives:
    The XO laptops will be used as (a) test units for proof of concept tests
    with low-cost robust server designs using wireless routers and access
    points, and (b) test units for math and science modules developed
    jointly by North Central State College (NCSC) Computer Information
    Systems students and Ohio State University (OSU) graduate education
    students.

7. Math & Science Activities - Florence, Mississippi
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107717
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 4 XOs over 3 months

    Project Objectives:
    Code new science and math activites for teachers and students in the
    classroom or outside school.

8. BioDiv-Activity - Tirschenreuth, Germany
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=107905
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 5 XOs over 36 months

    Project Objectives:
    The objective is creating a series of activities on science in the next
    few years (biology, physics, electronics, chemistry) and taking care of
    debugging and correcting the created activities.

    This year we realised an experimental version of the activity called
    "BioDiv" which can be found here:
    http://activities.sugarlabs.org/de/sugar/addon/4557
    The subject of this activity is biodiversity (in cooperation with the
    convention of biological diversity of the UN). The main component is an
    animal quiz.

    Our work is documented at http://www.gym-tir.de/sugarbio/ .

    Next year we plan to create a activity on (quantum) physics.

9. St Andre's school - Hinche, Haiti & Carmel, California
    http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108043
    SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

    Requests 2 XOs over 12 months

    Project Objectives:
    Numerous studies have proven that education is the key to addressing
    poverty. While we can't fully fund the needs of every student and every
    teacher, we believe computer technology is making a difference. On the
    technology side, we have been sending our Windows-based laptops with
    mixed results and the same can be said of our efforts in solar. Theft
    provides additional challenges. We are looking for a partnership, where
    we can leverage experience in K-12 education using laptops in the
    central plateau of Haiti. Example, we are looking to replace books with
    technology. We want all graduates to be fluent in first, French, then
    English. Our goal is to create graduates, who are prepared to enter
    college. For those whose parents pull them from school perhaps after
    only completing elementary school, we want these students to be able to
    read and write, and be able to perform common math in daily life, so
    they can attain better jobs and achieve a higher quality of life.

10. Pronunciation Evaluation Game for Reading - Fort Lupton, Colorado;
India; Singapore
     http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108156

http://pronunciationeval.blogspot.com/2012/05/one-laptop-per-child-hardware-request.html
     SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

     Requests XO-1, XO-1.5 & XO-1.75 over 6 months

     Project Objectives:
     We are building a free open source choose-your-own-adventure style
     game to teach beginning and intermediate English reading and
     pronunciation to learners of all ages and backgrounds using an
     automatic pronunciation evaluation system based on the CMU Sphinx3
     speech recognition system, which detects mispronunciations at the
     phoneme level and provides feedback scores and learner adaptation with
     phoneme, biphone, word, and phrase scores based on standardized
     phoneme acoustic scores and durations and edit distance scoring using
     alternate pronunciation grammars. We would like to build clients and
     stand-alone systems for OLPC hardware.

11. Green Roots Festival 2012 - Boston, Massachusetts
     http://rt.laptop.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=108215
     http://www.treehouse.su/garlabs/
     SPECIFIC SITE NEEDS TO BE POSTED OFF http://olpcMAP.net &
http://j.mp/6UhCtd

     Requests 10 XOs over 6 (summer) months

     Project Objectives:
     Experiment by doing ... outdoor play scenarios of children with XOs
     proof by doing that the XO is an outdoor computer :)

     Bring 10 xo ready for children usage (sometimes one for
     (grand-)parents too ;) and let them play set up a table and/or
     "decke" with flyers and the XOs turn on marketing.