Wanting to know a bit of (NetworkManager) workflow upon resume-from-suspend

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Mon May 14 04:26:25 EDT 2012

[CC -= sugar-devel]

Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> writes:

> This makes things rather tricky -- currently to get a kernel driver
> param such as this one you need to install it _on the machine where
> you build your kernel rpm_. This is at best awkward -- the kernel
> build environment better be a chroot :-/

Ouch. That means we'll have to build our own kernel, and even with a
manual procedure (inside a specially prepared chroot). The reason we
were still using the /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh hack was that we
didn't want to fork the upstream (OLPC) kernel. Kernel updates usually
have a good reason, so they should spread automatically to all systems
in the field.

Maybe we should consider something like modifying the initrd
(initramfs?) from within some script in olpc-os-builder. Append the
module config file to the existing, already installed initrd. We'd also
need to add in some hook that runs when the kernel RPM gets updated
(which, I assume, means that the initrd gets replaced as well) so that
live updates retain our modification.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/