Virtual Keyboard and i18n/l10n

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:27:29 EDT 2012

<cjl> hey martin_xsa What is the timing on working out the virtual
keyboard and how it gets specified for i18n/L10n?

At this point it looks like we'll use Maliit, and looks like we'll
have it integrated fairly soon. Maliit is mature (shipped with
Harmattan, Nokia N900), so it has its config files for this (xml?
documented in a wiki somewhere?) and existing support for many langs.

We should identify if we have gaps with our supported langs. We may
want to tweak the existing layouts (I hope not! :-) ).

I also believe we should ship any available langs, as this makes our
units more usable in locales where we currently don't have a physical
kb layout (where small projects cannot get a custom keyboard made),
and when typing in a foreign language (use case: native Spanish
speaking user, with Spanish/LatAm laptop, typing in Deutsch)

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions