New boot animation for 12.1.0

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Mar 26 08:32:50 EDT 2012

peter wrote:

 > >> Hit escape and you'll get the output and you can see what it's doing.
 > >

 > > That just brings me into "non-pretty" boot -- which I already know will
 > > work.
 > >
 > > Besides, hitting escape has to be precisely timed -- AFTER it would cause a
 > > pause at the ok prompt, but BEFORE the boot process stalls. [Once booting
 > > has paused at the single dot, pressing escape does nothing.]
 > >
 > > If I wanted to run non-pretty boot -- much simpler to press the check button
 > > as the XO-1,5 powers on.
 >
 > My point was if you hit escape once it stops you can see where the
 > boot is stopping so to find out what is causing the problem.

i think mikus might be saying that without animation, it's harder to
tell that the boot has stopped.  hopefully the much shorter boot times
will make that more obvious, after we all become used to the speedup.
(right now, given how we're used to pretty slow boots, it would be
easier to wait at a single dot for some time before realizing something
is wrong.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org