Video chat activity (was: Re: C and Sugar/GTK)

Walter Bender walter.bender at
Wed Mar 21 11:40:40 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Alex Waterman
<imnotlistening at> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>> Empathy uses telepathy and it would save you having to deal with the
>> upper levels like glueing telepathy, gstreamer, account/contacts
>> management and various inputs together. Basically libempathy sits on
>> top of all that so you could use the guts of empathy and just
>> implement the Sugar UX for it.
> That would be really nice and convenient. I will definitely look into that
> since that would save a huge amount of effort, to be sure.
> How much work is implementing a sugar UX?

That part is pretty cookie cutter. You inherit toolbars and a canvas
from the Sugar activity class.

FWIW, the Collabora guys wrote a video chat for Sugar back in 2007. I
demoed it in Buenos Aires, connected to Boston.