Debuginfo package for Python-2.7 on F14 mismatched or (l)user error?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 15:46:16 EDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:57 AM, Jan Kratochvil
<jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> wrote:
>> And both machines pass rpm -Va just fine. So the binaries should, um,
>> be the same.
> +
>> It is a core from yesterday,
>
> There can be difference one of the machines has the files prelink-ed while the
> other one does not.  prelink runs nightly (/etc/cron.daily/prelink).  But it

Thanks!

Prelink is not involved -- I doublechecked. In OLPC builds, we
currently don't prelink due to http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10898 , we
just don't install prelink and don't run it during OS image creation.
Even back then when we did, we disabled the cronjob :-)

> should be already fixed in your GDB version gdb-7.2-52.fc14,

You got that one right :-)

> If it helps please contact me off-list, with your disk image.  It assumes the
> system generating the core file was not prelinked.

Uploading at
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/os5rw-brokenimg/Sandisk_1200908562DEN.img

Bear in mind - that'll contain 2 partitions. The 2nd partition is /
but our initrd mounts it, and then chroots into a subdirectory. So
when you mount it, you'll want too look into /versions/run/5/

(WTF is this? Root FS "snapshots" via hardlinked trees. Until we have
btrfs running on these puppies, it's the best update fail-proof
mechanism we have.)

> That missing file:
> Missing separate debuginfo for
> Try: yum --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo='*-debuginfo' install /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/63/420e48a2edbae61166c708ebd2ff1a5aed1054
>
> is probably for kernel vDSO (as its name is empty), therefore kernel rpm.

Argh, that could be. But our kernel is a custom built rpm, and we
don't build -debuginfo. Here, have a fistful of my freshly-torn-out
hair.

Now, at the time of this segfault, the dmesg reports a segfault in
python2.7, inside calls to glib... (1) why are we then in the kernel
and (2) why isn't gdb telling us anything about the python/glib part
of the callstack?

still confused -

martin
PS: On a different investigation track we think there may be some
subtle/odd disk corruption that _passes_ rpm -Va and our own
olpc-contents-verify, yet strikes at runtime. Could a subtly corrupt
binary (ie: vmlinuz) lead here?
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions