Multi-laptop naming scheme for build files

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Mar 15 11:55:49 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This won't provide uniqueness between 12.1.0 build 3 and 12.2.0 build
>> 3, for example, but I don't think we are shooting for perfection in
>> terms of conflict avoidance, right?
>
> Hmmm. Maybe we can "shift our window" a bit, and drop the decade to
> pick up the major release.
>
> So 12.1.x ==> 21, and 12.2 ==> 22

One imperfection raised here is for point releases. We have been
inconsistent in the past with what we do for development builds of
point releases - sometimes we have reset to 1, in other cases we have
incremented over the development build number of the previous cycle.

For 12.1.1 would you reset to build 1 (causing a
potential-but-harmless name conflict), or would you continue on from
the last build number of 12.1.0?

Daniel