Kernel

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Mar 10 14:29:24 EST 2012

> I'm just installing onto a jffs2 XO-1, no building, just an install, so I
> did the basics: an install then the copy.  Did I miss something in the
> install that left the old files around?

Kevin - I've for years been removing the old files manually.

What I do after the 'uname -r' is 'rpm -q kernel'.  That gives me the
full name of the kernel that is not running.  Then I do 'rpm -e ...',
specifying that obsolete kernel_full_name.  I begin to finish up with
'find / -name ...' (where ... is a unique string extracted from the full
name of the deleted kernel).  Typically there will be leftover files
within /versions/pristine/883 .  I manually delete those.  [In my
opinion, the principal nand-space user is the leftover /lib/modules/,,,
from the previous running system.]

Of course, if the new kernel you installed did not come from a
fully-functional rpm, then little things (like drivers) might stop
working.  If you wanted to no longer use the new kernel, but had deleted
the previous kernel, you couldn't go back (e.g., by manually changing
the pointers in the /boot directory <as used by OFW>) -- you would need
to do a complete re-install.

mikus