XO-1 disk space and 12.1 offline update

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jun 18 05:03:27 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 01:39:47AM -0700, S Page wrote:
> On an XO-1 running a freshly installed os883 release 11.3.0 with
> nothing in ~/Documents and hardly any Journal entries I was unable to
> successfully update using
>   sudo olpc-update 12.1.0d_xo1-12
> , it ran out of space.  The 12.1.0 build is now up to 14, but I don't
> think it shrank between build 12 and 14. I had 297MB free beforehand,
> and only 14MB free after the update failed.

This is unfortunate.  I couldn't find a ticket for that, so I've
raised #11955.

> I wanted to try an upgrade using OLPC's simple offline update[1], but
> the download directory
> http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/12.1.0-14/ lacks a
> 21014o0.usb file. It does have a 21014o0.toc , what's that for if
> there's no .usb file?

The .usb file should be included in the next build, now that Daniel
has enabled the [usb_update] setting:

http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-os-builder/commit/?id=252aa2a3c2859e2677e05675f7eaff2b5b430e54

But due to #11946, there might be a problem using it.

> I had nothing important on the XO so I can just do a fresh install of
> 12.1.0, but if someone else is able to try an XO-1 online update from
> a fresh-ish 11.3.0 to 12.1.0 and has similar problems I think the
> release notes could usefully caution "You will *not* be able to update
> an XO-1 running 11.3.x unless you delete material from the standard
> installation so that you have over NNN MB free".

Agreed.  Changed.  Let me know how much you need free.

> Also, after a failed olpc-update, is there a guide to where the cruft
> I can remove is?  Since 11.3.0 is a recent build, the guide to
> purging[2] doesn't apply;  /versions/{contents,pristine,run} all only
> contain 883. `sudo du -sh /versions/*` says I have 901MB in
> /versions/pristine and 649MB in /versions/updates; combined that's
> more than the 1024MB flash size, so either they overlap or JFFS2
> compression really works! Is it safe to remove the contents of
> /versions/updates?

Yes, but olpc-update will just download it again.  Better is to free
up space and repeat olpc-update.  Already downloaded data will be kept.

The combined size may be larger because of the use of hard links
between files that have not changed.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/