buildrpm et al on the XO-1.75

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 12:50:31 EDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Yioryos Asprobounitis
<mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was trying few things with the arm-3.0-wip kernel and was building fine in both x86_64 machines and the XO-1.75 itself!

Heh! :-)

> However, buildrpm had some problems. For one, it defaults to /tmp as a builddir which makes it unusable in any XO. I can understand that is an infrastructure script but defaulting to maybe $HOME and cleaning up at the end, can serve all cases.

I normally do

  export builddir=~/olpc-kernel-builddir  ; time ./olpc/buildrpm 1.75

> The other problem I had on the XO-1.75(os13) was that although the kernel was building fine, the rpm building failed with:
> `error: create archive failed on file /home/olpc/kernel_sources/olpc-2.6/olpc/SOURCES/olpc-3.0.tar.bz2: cpio: Bad magic'
> That's too cryptic for me I'm afraid. Any pointers?

No idea, other than running out of disk space. When I did build
kernels on XO-1.75s, I did it on a USB HDD.

> Could it be becase the source was patched?

As it is setup, buildrpm grabs the latest commit from git, so it'll
ignore any uncommitted changes.

So, this is important: buildrpm builds from the latest git commit, and
it takes a very long time -- so long that it is only usable with an
automated build bot.

make zImage, OTOH, builds from your checkout, including any local
uncommitted changes -- slowish the first round, but fast incremental
compiles.

Use the fast-recompiles one for development, the other one for the
kernel that goes into the builds.

> Regarding the kernel changes I tried, I noticed that both usb and sound fail to build as modules but they are OK in the kernel.

You may be booting from a USB HDD or USB "stick"... I'd have it built in.

Booting from the mic port is a little bit less likely ;-) -- but our
audio driver is being revamped, and for good reasons.

hth,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions