How-to make the XS appear in the neighbourhood view of the XOs

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sun Jun 3 20:45:54 EDT 2012

I have pondered this, along with "enterprise" (larger school) XS
installations in general.

The XS typically does not control its wifi AP, so it can only be easily
shown when when users associate to its AP.  This is not necessarily a
problem, as XOs only see each other on the same network in a similar manner.

Re-enabling the Avahi service on XS 0.7 would allow the server to be
visible to XOs running Salut, as long as they were on the same network.
(It's possible to work around this same-network limit; but that would be a
kludge.)

It then would be a matter of incorporating the XS's mDNS entry it into the
network view.

However this seems somewhat silly to do for one XS.  Several support
utilities also would have to be altered to respect Sugar's choice.
Depending how XO's are setup they might accept DNS lookups via mDNS(*); so
I might take a stab at seeing what happens when an XS advertises
"schoolserver" locally even though the more formal DNS system disagrees
with that.

Something else I've thought about (which would take more work) is exposing
any classes the XS knows about so students easily can "Join" a class that
is currently in session.  This would be especially helpful if students move
from teacher to teacher during the day and do not stay in one group.

(*) I don't see this supported on recent 11.3.1 or 12.1.0 builds; but for
some reason I'm thinking this is either a regression or intentional change.