Problem running signed actos/actrd from USB stick on secured XO-1

Emiliano Pastorino epastorino at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Fri Jul 13 11:06:21 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use signed actos/actrd from a USB stick for testing purposes,
but I'm getting a "modprobe: module scsi_wait_scan not found in modules.dep"
message and then lots of:
"mount: mounting /dev/sda2 on /sysroot failed: Device or resource busy"
ending with:
"No root device found

Boot has failed, sleeping forever."

This initramfs works fine when security is disabled. I wrote a custom
olpc.fth with this changes:
" ro root=mtd0 rootfstype=jffs2 console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
fbcon=font:SUN12x22" expand$ to boot-file
" disk:\boot\vmlinuz"    expand$ to boot-device
" disk:\boot\actrd.img" expand$ to ramdisk
so initramfs and kernel are loaded from the USB stick and the modules can
be found in the NAND flash.

It also works when I copy the actos.zip and actrd.zip files to /boot in
internal storage.

The USB stick has 2 partitions: the first one is a FAT16 partition with a
boot directory containing the signed files.
The other one is an ext4 partition labeled OLPCRoot, and it only contains a
/lib/modules* tree, since my
customized initramfs will only fix the hwclock and then power off the XO.

Any clues?
Emiliano