Kernel development setup for XO-1.75

Martin Langhoff martin at laptop.org
Mon Jul 2 15:22:32 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
>  - Our defconfig file is in arch/arm/configs/xo_175_defconfig. I
> normally copy it to .config and then perl -pi -e 's/=m/=y/' to make a
> monolithic kernel that Just Boots.

As someone pointed out, I did not explain this step clearly enough.
Our standard defconfig has many drivers enabled as modules. To make
things easy during development however, we usually build monolithic
kernels. It saves you from having to copy all the drivers along with
the kernel.

So I run a quick search and replace over the defconfig file, changing
every location where a driver is set to module ("=m") to be a built-in
driver ("=y"). There's a few ways to skin this cat, my quick one is

  perl -pi -e 's/=m/=y/' .config

cheers,

 - ask interesting questions