12.1.0 release candidate 3 (build 16) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Jul 2 11:18:26 EDT 2012

Hi,

We're pleased to announce the next release candidate of our new 12.1.0
software release.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/12.1.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/12.1.0-16/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/12.1.0-16/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/12.1.0-16/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is July 9th.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the time remaining
before release.

Compared to 12.1.0 release candidate 2 (build 15), we have fixed and changed:

The Welcome screen (and activity) has been updated with new content
providing a quick introduction on how to use Sugar and the XO.

Implode has been fixed to show the animated help information again (SL#3463).

Labyrinth can now resize images without hanging (SL#3669).

A sugar-artwork update fixes drawing of the SpinButton widget in Read
and Abacus (SL#3406) and the bookmark edit area in Read (SL#3561).

The totem media player in GNOME was failing to launch; we've reverted
to an older version to fix that.

Ogg media on websites now works again: the totem-based media player
plugin has been fixed to display this media in most cases (#11963),
using WebKit's own media support in the other cases. When the webkit
internal audio support is used, we've fixed the display of the
playback controls (#11913).

The battery meter now behaves better when plugging/unplugging AC power (#11957).

Booting after activation no longer results in misnamed network devices
(#11967) and loss of mesh networking on XO-1 (#11975). After
activating, the black cursor no longer appears on top of the boot
animation or on the desktop (#11940).

A new instability in the XO-1 wireless driver has been fixed (#11941).

XO-1.5 has been fixed for manufacturing tests involving suspend/resume
(#11867, #11964). The manufacturing tests also exposed a bug in how
the wtmp file is updated on shutdown, that's been fixed too (#11952).

Thanks!