USB permissions for educational robots

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jan 22 17:03:16 EST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 04:57:10PM -0500, Paul Fox wrote:
> i would like to propose giving user-level read/write access to any
> USB device which isn't an auto-mounted filesystem.  perhaps an easier
> rule would be, any non-storage USB device.
>
> can anyone think of reasons that this would be unacceptable?  (i assume,
> but don't know, that this would not be hard to implement.

devices that provide storage interfaces are likely to be the next
barrier, and so all we have done is accept the non-storage devices now
and create more pain later.

what is the reason for not allowing user-level read/write access to any
storage USB device?

i recall setuid used to be a risk, but i thought that got fixed with
mount options that suppress it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/