USB permissions for educational robots

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sun Jan 22 16:57:10 EST 2012

forster at ozonline.com.au wrote:
 > Andres Aguirre wrote:
 > > Here in uruguay xo`s are distributed with no permission to
 > > install rpm or modify udev rules, so is very important to have
 > > this rules added to work with butiĆ” 2.0 and nxt in a near
 > > future.
 >
 > fyi
 > The Arduino IDE seems to need to run as root to see Arduino boards
 > http://tonyforster.blogspot.com/2012/01/arduino-and-xo-laptop.html
 >
 > (though it would be hard to install the IDE without being root)
 >
 > might be relevant
 >
 > Tony

so, that's yet another another request for more open
permissions on USB devices plugged in to the laptop.

last time this came up, i wrote:
 > we can add it, but clearly it would be best if deployments or even
 > local classrooms could add new device capabilities on their own.
 > because as soon as we say "great, we're done", someone will create
 > a new USB device that kids and teachers everywhere will want to use.
 >
 > i would greatly appreciate someone coming up with a scheme to allow
 > the end-user, or a deployment, to add devices on their own.
 >
 > perhaps the user should be given r/w permission for any USB device.
 > (yes, i understand there are big risks with that.  feel free to
 > propose exceptions that would make this safe.)

i would like to propose giving user-level read/write access to any
USB device which isn't an auto-mounted filesystem.  perhaps an easier
rule would be, any non-storage USB device.

can anyone think of reasons that this would be unacceptable?  (i assume,
but don't know, that this would not be hard to implement.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org