OLPC Policies Question Concerning Upgrading Default Installed Software

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 18:49:11 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 11:55 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:

> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Wed, Jan 11 2012, anthony at evolutionindesignz.com wrote:
> > My name is Anthony, and I am doing some work for a company called
> > Evolution in Design (http://www.evolutionindesignz.com).
>
> Hm, I still don't understand.  Are you just writing a piece of software
> for a deployment to install on their laptops, or are you managing a
> deployment of laptops to kids?  Which deployment is it?

Maybe I'm wrong but given that Evolution in Design's list of clients (
http://www.evolutionindesignz.com/clients.html) includes GogoNews (
http://www.gogonews.com/) which recently announced that they're working on
"a custom, Linux-based browser specifically for use on OLPC XO devices" to
become part of "the collection of default applications on new XO computers"
and offline capabilities are also mentioned (
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20111214005404/en/GoGoNews-Delivers-Universal-News-Content-Laptop-Child)
it sounds like Anthony is part of that effort.

Where do I collect my prize? ;-)

Christoph

> If you are just writing a software program, I don't think you should
> modify the base system, because you will break other people's software
> if they use the older version of xulrunner.  It would be better to bundle
> the newer version of xulrunner inside your program, if you need it,
> although that would waste some disk space.
>
> - Chris.
> --
> Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
> One Laptop Per Child