OLPC Policies Question Concerning Upgrading Default Installed Software

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Wed Jan 11 17:55:30 EST 2012

Hi Anthony,

On Wed, Jan 11 2012, anthony at evolutionindesignz.com wrote:
> My name is Anthony, and I am doing some work for a company called
> Evolution in Design (http://www.evolutionindesignz.com).

Hm, I still don't understand.  Are you just writing a piece of software
for a deployment to install on their laptops, or are you managing a
deployment of laptops to kids?  Which deployment is it?

If you are just writing a software program, I don't think you should
modify the base system, because you will break other people's software
if they use the older version of xulrunner.  It would be better to bundle
the newer version of xulrunner inside your program, if you need it,
although that would waste some disk space.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child