Must just be my week for strange behaviour

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Feb 15 13:34:13 EST 2012

kevin wrote:
 > I'm fixing up about 5 XO-1s I bought from eBay, all with what appear to be
 > RTC issues.
 >
 > 4 all worked nicely, page fault error from the serial adapter console,
 > entered the select/decimal/set-time, they rebooted and re-flashed very well.
 >
 > Alas, number 5, when I crank up the power, all that appears on the serial
 > console is a '+' sign, no pretty Forth message, no Page Fault error, just
 > that lonely arithmetic symbol.
 >
 > Went back to a couple of the others and verified that serial adapter and
 > console still worked
 >
 > Is there a possiblity that this one beast might have a different baud rate
 > or parity?  I didn't really want to try the o, let's say, 32768 different

no, it's not a baud rate or parity issue.  if you look closely at the
serial output from one of your working machines, you'll see that the
next, then the Forthmacs strings.  i believe mitch uses every one of
those characters as a progress indication.  dying as early as your
machine does is probably not a good sign.

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org