Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Sat Feb 4 10:26:01 EST 2012

Disabling suspend during collaboration was discussed a year ago, but as far
as I know this has not made it into any 11.3.x build:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10363

There might be a few 10.x.x builds with this change but I would have to
research this to confirm one way or another.

I could easily see USB GSM modems being unhappy about repeatedly losing
power, as my USB CDMA modem resets itself every time that happens.  This
then requires it to reacquire a connection to the tower, reset the
computer's PPP link to the modem, etc.  This may require the XO to stay
powered on via a usb-inhibits rule, network manager script, or Sugar's
GSM/NM monitor whenever the connection is active.

But unless the GSM/3G connection is being used to contact a school or other
collaboration server I think these are two independent problems.