Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Sat Feb 4 00:28:28 EST 2012

On 2 February 2012 14:42, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
>> While I understand the frustration, this is going to wrong direction. We
>> need to hunt down the problems and fix them.
>
> I think we have the root problem well isolated -- dsd has done a good
> job of that. Getting it fixed is taking longer than we thought, and it
> got better, but not fixed, in the 11.x.y cycle.
>
> Our next stab at fixed is in the 12.1.0 timeframe, mid-2012.
>
> A workaround of this kind _is_ the right thing now for the 11.x.y platform.
>
> Let's _not_ include it in the development builds, so developers and
> testers suffer (and fix).
>
> end users need not suffer.

+1 for this. This is negatively impacting classrooms. Teachers are
shying away from using collaboration. We don't have time to wait for a
'perfect' solution.

3G is a separate problem. We don't know yet what USB modems we'll be
using, so we can't inhibit their USB IDs. Doing it through NM would be
preferable. I've updated the tracker:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10708

Sridhar