Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Paul Fox pgf at
Thu Feb 2 10:18:52 EST 2012

martin wrote:
 > On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 12:17 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at> wrote:
 > > I like to keep OOB as close to upstream as possible, having
 > OOB already has a module to do this: powerd. Take a peek at the XO-1
 > configs provided, which already disable this.

but really, disabling automatic power management entirely is an
awfully big hammer.  please consider instead adding your 3G devices to
usb-inhibits -- this is documented in the powerd script itself (where
all of powerd is documented).  we could also consider adding a new
config file, called, perhaps, "program-inhibits", which would cause
powerd to inhibit automatic suspend when it detects a listed named
program is running, via "ps".

as richard said, we'd much rather take baby steps forward than giant
steps backward.  :-/