Will the XO-4 need nonfree firmware

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Dec 6 18:17:26 EST 2012

On Thu, 6 Dec 2012, S. Daniel Francis wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>
> 2012/12/5 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
>>     These laptops are locked down with
>>     "Secure Boot", with a remote disable switch (time-limited leases), and
>>     also shipped with root access disabled, so the owner can't even do
>>     simple software edits or upgrades.
> It's true. In Uruguay the laptops distributed by Plan Ceibal only
> allow to boot signed builds without root access. The biggest part of
> the software can be used and modified with freedom but not inside
> those laptops.

The question is who the owner is. Is the owner the national entity that paid for
them? or is it the child who it is given to?

If it's the child, they should be able to get it unlocked.

If it's the entity that paid for it, there's no good reason why anyone else
(including the person who is carrying it around) is required to have this
access.

It's very nice when the person carrying it has that access, but if they didn't
buy it, I don't afree that they have a right to change it.

David Lang