Will the XO-4 need nonfree firmware

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Thu Dec 6 15:11:19 EST 2012

Hello Richard,

2012/12/5 Richard Stallman <rms at gnu.org>:
>     These laptops are locked down with
>     "Secure Boot", with a remote disable switch (time-limited leases), and
>     also shipped with root access disabled, so the owner can't even do
>     simple software edits or upgrades.
It's true. In Uruguay the laptops distributed by Plan Ceibal only
allow to boot signed builds without root access. The biggest part of
the software can be used and modified with freedom but not inside
those laptops.

> Please tell us specific evidence; then we will do what we can.
> It may be hard to enforce copyrights in those countries,
> but in order to try, we need clear-cut evidence.

The signed builds for Uruguay are distributed in this website:
http://ceibal.edu.uy/Articulos/Paginas/Flasheo%20de%20equipos%20Ceibal_.aspx

Some direct FTP links:

XO-1:
ftp://200.40.200.101/espacio_tecnico/imagenes/XO-1/
XO-1.5:
ftp://200.40.200.101/espacio_tecnico/imagenes/XO-1.5HS/
XO-1.75:
ftp://200.40.200.101/espacio_tecnico/imagenes/XO-1.75/

I don't know if there is another way to demonstrate it.

Best regards from Uruguay,
Daniel.