Will the XO-4 need nonfree firmware

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Wed Dec 5 06:49:00 EST 2012

    PS: If you want to spend time on the freedom of OLPC products, first
    get the FSF staff to enforce the GPL on OLPCs.  Major OLPC customer
    countries are still providing hundreds of thousands of laptops full of
    GPLv3 binary software to kids who can't examine, replace, or get the
    matching source for that software.  These laptops are locked down with
    "Secure Boot", with a remote disable switch (time-limited leases), and
    also shipped with root access disabled, so the owner can't even do
    simple software edits or upgrades.

Please tell us specific evidence; then we will do what we can.
It may be hard to enforce copyrights in those countries,
but in order to try, we need clear-cut evidence.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation