HDMI port

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 08:51:47 EST 2012

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Samuel Greenfeld <greenfeld at laptop.org>wrote:

> The connector on XO-4 B1 motherboards is a bit further in than it should
> be.  You might not be able to establish a reliable connection to it without
> increasing the size of the opening in the case.
>
> The connector on XO-4 C1 motherboards has been moved a bit further out.
>
> In terms of using the smaller connector, for users upgrading motherboards,
> there has been discussion about including an adapter to make the existing
> hole for a third USB port micro HDMI-size.  I have not seen one of these
> adapters yet so I cannot comment much about it.
>

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Sameer Verma <sverma at sfsu.edu> wrote:
>
>> I was looking for a cable for the micro HDMI port on the XO4. I couldn't
>> find it locally, so I bought it online. The connector is similar to a micro
>> USB on my phone (size wise) but after plugging it into the XO, I realized
>> that the connector is very flimsy. I suppose the bit sticking inside the XO
>> doesn't feel robust enough to forgive any major movement of the cable on
>> the outside.
>>
>> A type A HDMI cable connector seems to be quite robust, like a USB A
>> connector. What was the thinking behind picking a micro HDMI connector?
>>
>> A regular HDMI connector seems more robust and easily available (my
>> experience...yours may vary).
>>
>> cheers,
>> Sameer

Micro-HDMI is the de-facto mobile internet HDMI connector.  Obviously part
of that is due to size, but I also feel that the connection was designed to
stand up to use in a device that can be moved around a lot, i.e. Mobile
Phone, or Tablet.  I think you see this in how the connectors are built.
 Because the connection itself is smaller it allows the cable manufacturers
to make the plastic cover for the plug thicker.  This gives additional
support against the outside of the case and helps minimize the force that
is put on the connection between the micro-hdmi port and the motherboard
when the plugs is levered.

Personally I like the micro-hdmi connector because it also stands out and
makes it obvious that it is not another USB port.

I am sure the hardware team will have a lot of other more technical reasons
for the choice.  These are just my personal viewpoints about why I liked
the choice of a Micro-HDMI port vs. a Full size port.

-Jon