Announcing Q3C09 for XO-1.5

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Fri Aug 31 17:03:54 EDT 2012

On Aug 31, 2012 4:16 PM, "Mikus Grinbergs" <mikus at bga.com> wrote:

> Edit after having written up the text below the ---- divider:
>
>   Have swapped XO-1.5s, adapters, hubs.  The "no root device" kernel
panic shows up with q3c09 wherever a particular Belkin F5U 234 (Rev 3)
external USB hub is plugged in.  [With other hubs, of the same or different
models, the problem does not show up.]

So this a problem with the USB hub and not the network adapter?

> ----
>

> On 08/31/2012 09:09 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
>>
>> Open Firmware knows how to use certain types of USB Ethernet adapters in
>> addition to the internal Wifi adapter, and supports accessing files via
>> many network protocols in addition to local means.  You can tell OFW to
>> "fs-updatehttp:\\download.laptop.org
\xo-1.5\os\candidate\12.1.0-21\21021o1.zd"

>> (with the slashes intentionally backwards) and it would try to get on a
>> network and install the build that way.
>

>> Does your network provide network-based boot services ?
>

> In this instance I was merely attempting to __boot__ the XO-1.5, and had
not specified any URLs to the firmware (had not stopped at the ok prompt;
had not typed in anything).

> My assumption is that if I do not explicitly tell the firmware to access
an external resource, it will __not__ go looking for one.
> Is my assumption wrong?

James would know about the firmware's default boot path better than I
would. I would expect that all local devices would be tried before network
ones if they are in the default search path.

> The XO is using whatever /bootpart contents os21 installs - including
that build's original '/bootpart/boot-versions/21/olpc.fth' file.  My
assumption is that OFW isn't attempting any "fully network boot".
> [Besides - how would OFW know the passphrase for the wireless network ?]

If the USB Ethernet adapter is plugged in and recognized by OFW then it
would be used instead of the wireless card.

In any case it is unlikely that your XO is trying to boot off of the
network unless something really strange is happening. I have never seen a
XO try to boot off of a network except if was setup to do so after earlier
attempts to boot off of other devices have failed.