Announcing Q3C09 for XO-1.5

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Aug 31 16:16:43 EDT 2012

Edit after having written up the text below the ---- divider:

   Have swapped XO-1.5s, adapters, hubs.  The "no root device" kernel
panic shows up with q3c09 wherever a particular Belkin F5U 234 (Rev 3)
external USB hub is plugged in.  [With other hubs, of the same or
different models, the problem does not show up.]

----

On 08/31/2012 09:09 AM, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> Open Firmware knows how to use certain types of USB Ethernet adapters in
> addition to the internal Wifi adapter, and supports accessing files via
> many network protocols in addition to local means.  You can tell OFW to
> "fs-updatehttp:\\download.laptop.org\xo-1.5\os\candidate\12.1.0-21\21021o1.zd"
> (with the slashes intentionally backwards) and it would try to get on a
> network and install the build that way.

> Does your network provide network-based boot services ?

In this instance I was merely attempting to __boot__ the XO-1.5, and had
not specified any URLs to the firmware (had not stopped at the ok
prompt; had not typed in anything).

My assumption is that if I do not explicitly tell the firmware to access
an external resource, it will __not__ go looking for one.
Is my assumption wrong?

Yes, I do have a wireless AP active, which would perform DHCP assignment
if contacted.  I was relying upon information from the __build__ (once
the XO got initialized) -- 'ifconfig' does not show any wireless
connection.  Are you saying that when I power up, OFW will search for
radio signals even when I have not told it to do so ??

The XO is using whatever /bootpart contents os21 installs - including
that build's original '/bootpart/boot-versions/21/olpc.fth' file.  My
assumption is that OFW isn't attempting any "fully network boot".
[Besides - how would OFW know the passphrase for the wireless network ?]

mikus

p.s.  By the way, my XO-1.5 configuration is :
         External SD card plugged in at bottom of XO
           Contains one data partition (ext2) and one swap partition
         USB hub plugged in at left side of XO
           Keyboard plugged in to USB hub
           Mouse plugged in to USB hub
         USB ethernet adapter plugged in at right side of XO